Sunday, September 22, 2013

DIIGO vs. Scoop it


DIIGO and Scoop it are both sites that can be used as an alternative to "bookmarking" websites that people commonly do in their browsers. Both websites make sharing interests on the internet more convenient. Below is a table comparing the two and the features that they offer.

You can highlight texts and when you access the website at a later date the saved highlights will still be present.

Multiple tags can be used.

You can follow others, they can follow you.

You can post comments on the users site.

You are not offered suggestions for related articles.

You cannot highlight texts on Scoop it.



Multiple tags can be used.



You can follow others, they can follow you.



You can post comments on the users site.

You are offered suggestions for related articles.


According to my personal opinion, there are pros and cons to each of these websites. I see DIIGO as more of a academic research tool. It seems more to be for those who want to use outside sources from websites complied into one page, just like the "bookmarking" feature on internet browsers. DIIGO's ability to snapshot websites as well as highlight texts are very useful resources that are not found on Scoop it. Although Scoop lacks that particular feature, I think overall Scoop it is a better website to fit my needs. The interface of Scoop it is more attractive, it is easy to navigate, and it has more of a social networking feel. In my opinion, it is easier to follow topics and users. Scoop it reminds me of a website I often use called pintrest. I would continue to use Scoop it past this class because I think it is a great resource for teachers.










Shown above are screenshots of the two websites to get an idea of what their interface looks like.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the screenshots and the comparison lists. I think lists make comparisons easier to grasp. I'm glad that you plan to continue to use Scoop.it but remember that the free version only allows 5 topics. I don't know how many entries are allowed for each topic but if the number of entries is high, 5 topics may be enough.

    ReplyDelete