Friday, September 6, 2013

Using blogs to meet learning standards

Blogging is a unqiue way to engage students in the classroom. As a teacher, using blogs can be beneficial for many reasons.

One way I can use blogs with my own students is for collaboration. According to "Blogging in Language Learning" blogs can be used for review by both peers and teachers. Students can use comment functions to share their opinions and recieve feedback. Blogging can help every student participate. Some students may not want to participate in the classroom because they are shy, blogging allows them to express themselves. Through blogging students are given a more "stress free" place to interact with their peers.Collobrating through blogs can also enhance creativity and open up more sources of knowledge.

As a professional, blogs can be used a source of reflection. I use online blogging for my personal use and it is a great way for me to track my progress, this can also be done professionally. Through blogging I can see my progress as an educator and view my failures as well as successes. Blogging offers an archive of all of my attempts to allow me to go back in self reflection. Through blogs my peers can also contribute to my progress and provide feedback that could further the reflection process.



Standard
STANDARD 3: Students will listen, speak, read, and write in English for critical analysis and evaluation.
Performance Indicator:
6. Speak and write, using the conventions and features of American English, to effectively influence an audience (e.g., to persuade, negotiate, argue). Such spoken language features include appropriate grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation, and intonation. Such written language features include appropriate grammar, vocabulary, correct spelling, punctuation, and capitalization. (S, W)

 NYS English as a Second Language Learning Standards

2 comments:

  1. Let me start off by saying your blog looks great! So professional! I really like what you say about blogging being a stress-free environment. I had never thought about that before and often you hear that the world has become so impersonal because people can say things more easily over text than real life but I think in this case that is a wonderful thing! Especially for a student who may be a bit shy in a big classroom. Thanks for your fresh perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done! You chose a good description of student blogging ahd how it can meet Standard 3, performance indicator 6.

    ReplyDelete